Friday, August 29, 2008

Camp Season, Part 3: Krkonose Mountains

One week later, I was meeting another American team for another camp. When I volunteered for this camp, I told them to use me where they need me. So I arrived without being really sure what was about to come my way. All part of the adventure, after all.

This camp was hosted by the church plant I attend in the Rajska Zahrada neighborhood in Prague. At the beginning of the summer, we had only about a dozen students signed up. We were counting on about 20. By the time camp rolled around, the number was in the 30s, and between campers and staff we managed to max out our facility. Praise God both for His abundant provision of campers and for His miraculous working out of space and resources!

Camp was at a chata ("cottage"...in this case, an inn with dormitory style rooms) in the Krkonose Mountains of northern Czech. These are stunning mountains (which I learned on the "medium" hike of 13 km a couple of days into camp). The team from Story City, Iowa, was a blast to work with and brought much experience and a good bit of fun with them. Like my previous camp, this camp had themes in the first part of the morning, followed by reading and conversation (in this case from the book "The Little Prince"), followed by lunch and afternoon activities (often games or different workshops), followed by dinner, and then fantastic evening programs that featured great music and really GREAT straightforward gospel teaching. And the kids were listening. (You'll have to wait for the next post for more on that!)

I co-taught with a couple of the Iowa City teachers. When I got switched from one class to another part-way through the week, at first I was really sad because I was so enjoying the relationships I was forming with students in that first class. But what ended up happening is that I "kept" my old students and gained some of the new ones! I am so excited that I will get to see so many of these students at English Club during the new school year, and also for some of the follow-up possibilities. Please pray for these kids! Many sound seeds were planted. There was some absolutely amazing stuff happening in some hearts, some of which was verbalized and some of which came out in other ways. Pray for good soil where the seeds fell! We have some watering and tending to do now, but the increase is the Lord's to plan and to bring about.

Up next...What's next?

No comments: