Sunday, October 28, 2007

Navigating the Lumps

Life is messy. As a person who is entering full-time ministry, I feel like I spend a lot of time trying to put the right spiritual "spin" on life. No one wants to be a bummer, right? But the fact remains that difficult things happen. Loving what I am called to doesn't mean that every step along the way is rosy. I mentioned in the last post that this season of life has felt like swimming through gravy. Let me refine that image for you: This is cold and lumpy gravy!

The biggest lump has come since that last post. My younger sister, who had a melanoma removed from her arm last week, has received the news that the cancer is more widespread. A lymphectomy and chemotherapy are on the near horizon. The other lumps are fairly insignificant by comparison, and yet ever-present and irritating. So please pray. The God of the whole universe is also the God of my small world. I believe He can and will work all things to good in the lives of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

During a mini-retreat this weekend, I got to read through the book of Genesis. I didn't have a plan when I picked it...It just happens to come first! But as I read about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and the children of Israel, I was reminded about what the New Testament writers had to say about them. They recieved the promises by faith, even though they never possessed the Promise Land and barely had a glimpse of the kingdoms (and Kingdom) to come. That reception by faith was credited to them as righteousness. So while I feel a bit like I'm stuck in a wilderness, I am encouraged by the reality of God's promises. They're big and beautiful--and perfectly believable, thanks the faithfulness of the God who made them. Praise the Lord!

No comments: