Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Prayer to Share

Let me share with you a prayer that has really touched me. It comes from a prayer entitled "A Christian's Prayer" in a magnificent collection of Puritan prayers called The Valley of Vision. I hope it enriches your prayer times, and I ask you to pray for this on my behalf. It becomes so easy sometimes to do what is expected in ministry rather than to be who I am asked by my God to be, namely a child who is daily growing in her likeness to the Son.

May I remember the dignity of my spiritual release,
Never be too busy to attend to my soul,
Never be so engrossed with time
That I neglect the things of eternity;
Thus may I not only live, but grow towards thee.
Form my mind to right notions of religion,
That I may not judge of grace by wrong conceptions,
Nor measure my spiritual advances by the efforts
Of my natural being...

Draw on my soul the lineaments
(lines=characteristics) of Christ,
In every trace and feature of which thou wilt
Take delight, for I am
Thy workmanship, created in Christ Jesus,
Thy letter written with the Holy Spirit's pen,
Thy tilled soil ready for the sowing, then harvest.

Grace and peace to you, my friends.

No comments: