Sunday, June 15, 2008

Slovakia Update

About a month ago, I promised an update on my anticipated trip to Slovakia to visit a ministry working with Romani families there. You didn't see an update because I didn't get to go. However, I want to share a little about it anyway, and ask your prayers for the work.

The reason I didn't go was because of a difficult circumstance in the church that needed a lot of time and energy of my hosts. It was a question of church discipline, and anyone who has been in a fellowship where this has happened knows this is a difficult, delicate, and painful situation for any church. It is tempting to be discouraged by a circumstance like this in a small, struggling body of believers. Churches often shy away from public discipline out of fear or pride. The leaders of this church, however, saw a need and prayerfully acted on it. And the result of their obedience to Scripture was far from discouraging! People who had stayed away from the church were able to return, and we can all pray that the faith of this congregation was strengthened by witnessing the healing God brought about through this difficult time.

My colleague who did go came back greatly encouraged and excited for what God is doing in that area of Slovakia. I am excited for my visit, which we will reschedule for sometime this summer. In the meantime, please continue to pray for all those who are working among the Romani people in this part of the world, that they would be encouraged and strengthened. And pray for Romani believers to be strong in their faith and to grow in their knowledge of God and their love for one another. I am convinced that God wants to use transformed Romani lives to demonstrate His power to a watching and as-yet-unbelieving majority in Europe. What an awesome thought: a renaissance of faith being born out of a Roma revival!

No comments: